Thursday, June 28, 2007

some standard interview questions:

I have been on the phone so much in the last week as I have been asked to record the descendants of Walter (1879-1922) and Rosa Peeler (1884-1955).

These conversations have been amazing. Not only have I gleaned much of the information I need, but I have connected with family and have been given colorful stories to those names on my chart.

I'd say allow yourself a good amount of time to spend, be open for any surprise information you might be given, if you can tape it then--write later and listen, listen, listen.

Here are some basic questions:


  1. Ask for their full names, plus any nicknames they have or have used in the past.
  2. Ask for their date of birth and marriage as well as the location for each.
  3. Ask about their parents and their grand-parents names, and nick names.
  4. Ask for those ancestors birth and marriage dates and the locations as well.
  5. Ask what growing up was like for them where they lived?
  6. Were there any moves during their childhood? From and to where.
  7. Ask them to describe their house and where they stayed.
  8. Describe the foods they enjoyed and who cooked them?
  9. Ask about what clothes were worn to school/work?
  10. Ask about how holidays were spent?

No comments: